Lower Extremity Orthopedic and Sports Injuries in the Young Athlete
Covid 19 Update On this Course
This course is now offered online! Healthclick has filmed this course in a studio, adding features not available in the live format. Visit this link to view information on this new online continuing education course.
This course is available for our private and course sponsor program
Why take this course?
Youth sport participation rates continue to increase. Associated with an increase in sport participation is an increase in both overuse and traumatic injury. Post-injury, many youth athletes have an expectation of returning to their previous health and level of function as quickly as possible. These expectations increase stressors on the sports medicine team to make sound evidence-based clinical decisions on safely returning the youth athlete to activity.
This hands-on, two-day advanced course will provide an in-depth analysis of lower extremity traumatic and overuse injuries affecting the youth athlete. This course will identify the latest evidence on tools to prevent, diagnose, and treat injuries unique to the youth athlete. Special emphasis will be spent on understanding the effects of maturational status on motor planning and injury risk. Each course attendee will leave with both didactic and hands-on assessment tools to make informed, evidence-based rehabilitation and return-to-activity decisions. Case studies will be utilized throughout the course to illustrate key concepts. This interactive course will allow course participants to enhance their diagnostic, examination and treatment skills of injured youth athletes. The overall course objective is to provide attendees with a thorough frame-work to make informed decisions that will enable the course attendee to become an asset in your community to youth athletes, parents, physicians, and coaches. A comprehensive course packet will include pictures, references and clinical pearls for quick reference in the clinic.
- Identify the risks and potential benefits of early sport specialization in the youth athlete.
- Perform a thorough assessment utilizing evidence-based screening tools to identify at-risk populations for running, cutting, and pivoting sports involving youth athletes.
- Describe the musculoskeletal implications from ACL, MPFL and PAO reconstructive.
- Perform a comprehensive, hypothesis-driven lower extremity evaluation unique to youth athletes.
- Develop and design comprehensive treatment programs tailored to the specific needs of the youth lower extremity athlete.
- mplement an evidence-based, criterion-driven return to sport program for youth athletes returning to sports involving running, cutting, pivoting, and jumping.
- Develop a program that utilizes evidence-based manual therapy and taping techniques as adjunctive techniques to help facilitate pain and functional improvements in youth athletes.
Instructed by: Jeffery Taylor-Haas, PT, DPT, OCS, CSCS
State Continuing Education Course Approvals
All courses are pre-approved by the state licensing boards for physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and athletic trainers for license renewal in the state the course is offered.
Courses provided by AOTA providers are accepted by NBCOT. 1 hour = 1.25 PDU. North American Seminars is an AOTA provider, provider #4487
North American Seminars, Inc. (BOC provider #P2047) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for the maximum stated hours of Category A hours/CEUs. Athletic Trainers should claim only those hours actually spent in the education program.
Special Need Request - Please submit a help ticket if you require any special needs in regards to registering or attending a course.
Private - Sponsorship or Custom Version of this Course for your Team
Submit a Request
Online Continuing Education Course Resource For This Course
Lower Extremity Injuries in the Young Athlete
Instant Online Access, 365 days of access, Mobile Ready
Price when purchased with registration: $ 175.00
Delivery: OnlineMore Info
*Promotional prices for e-learning products are only provided when registering for live course attendance