The Post Surgical Elbow, Wrist and Hand
This course is available for our private and course sponsor program
Learn more about the our private and course sponsor program
Why take this course?
This advanced level two-day course will provide the medical professional with information needed to effectively evaluate and treat clinically complex conditions of the elbow, wrist and hand through advanced clinical algorithmic solving. Pre and post-surgical evaluation and treatment techniques are discussed to improve the outcomes of common surgical procedures. This course builds on a general understanding of hand therapy concepts to the advanced clinical rationale in the complex upper extremity injury. Specific complex case studies were selected to review treatment options of the elbow, wrist and hand and will be followed by in-depth discussion of the various rehabilitation approaches. This course will also provide information that will improve outcomes by providing information on how to build a cutting-edge upper extremity therapy program. Topics that will be discussed include: crush injuries, soft tissue injuries, combination fracture/flexor and extensor tendon repair treatment, edema management, scar remodeling, the stiff hand, fractures, splinting concepts and arthritis.
This course also includes revolutionary splinting concepts to impact clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction. Surgical considerations and techniques will be presented to assist the clinician with the development of a thorough treatment program. Education provided with use “clinical pearls,” developed with over 20 years managing complex wrist and hand disorders. This course has been designed for the therapist to immediately apply the information in the clinical setting. This course is applicable for PT, PTA, OT, ATC.
- Describe detailed aspects of the anatomy and advanced concepts of the biomechanics of the elbow, wrist and hand.
- Describe the correlation between the functional anatomy of the upper body and current surgical procedures to develop comprehensive therapeutic rehabilitation programs.
- Identify structural and functional limitation that can occur with complex injuries of the elbow, wrist and hand.
- Develop a comprehensive rehab program to manage combination fractures/tendon repairs.
- Discuss the role of the hand therapist for pre and post surgical intervention.
- Describe the development establishing clinical pathways using an in depth view of the 3 phases of healing tissue and describe how clinical intervention can impact long term functional gains.
- Describe how clinical intervention can impact long term functional gains.
- Perform a thorough examination of the distal upper extremity, integrating biomechanical assessment with clinical problem solving.
- Develop assessment techniques and treatment strategies of the elbow, wrist and hand to include soft tissue injuries, fractures, flexor and extensor tendon injuries, nerve compression and common arthritic problems.
- Provide advanced splinting principles to complex injuries that result in effective and efficient clinical outcomes.
Download a Brochure
PDF Brochure - The Post Surgical Elbow, Wrist and Hand
Instructed by: Edward Fiore, OTR/L, CHT, MED
State Continuing Education Course Approvals
All courses are pre-approved by the state licensing boards for physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and athletic trainers for license renewal in the state the course is offered.
Courses provided by AOTA providers are accepted by NBCOT. 1 hour = 1.25 PDU. North American Seminars is an AOTA provider, provider #4487
North American Seminars, Inc. (BOC provider #P2047) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for the maximum stated hours of Category A hours/CEUs. Athletic Trainers should claim only those hours actually spent in the education program.
Special Need Request - Please submit a help ticket if you require any special needs in regards to registering or attending a course.
Private - Sponsorship or Custom Version of this Course for your Team
Submit a Request
Online Continuing Education Course Resource For This Course
Biomechanics of the Shoulder
Instant Online Access, Color 152 Page PDF Manual for Download, 365 days of access, Mobile Ready
Price when purchased with registration: $ 145.00
Delivery: OnlineMore Info
*Promotional prices for e-learning products are only provided when registering for live course attendance