Developing Post Surgical Rehab Programs for the Cervical and Lumbar Spine
Covid 19 Update On this Course
This course is now offered online! Healthclick has filmed this course in a studio, adding features not available in the live format. Visit this link to view information on this new online continuing education course.
Learn more about this new online version
This course is available for our private and course sponsor program
Learn more about the our private and course sponsor program
Why take this course?
This two-day intermediate level course is designed to enhance a therapist’s fundamental understanding of surgical approaches for the cervical and lumbar spine in order to effectively develop progressive rehabilitation protocols. The key to successful post surgical rehabilitation is understanding the mechanism of injury, physiological healing time, mechanical changes and surgical techniques. This in-depth presentation prepares the medical professional to identify effective rehabilitation procedures for safe therapeutic management in order to achieve positive functional outcomes. A thorough understanding of the outcomes of surgery assists the therapist to develop the most effective rehab program. Emphasis is placed on understanding the neuromuscular effects of specific surgical procedures and developing protocols by utilizing neurological assessment tools, manual therapy techniques and exercise selection for the various post surgical conditions. Extensive hands-on lab time and protocol discussion will enable the therapist to immediately apply information in the clinical setting.
- Recognize the basic anatomy pertinent to various pathologies and dysfunctions.
- Discuss the differences between post-surgical and nonsurgical evaluation emphasis.
- dentify specific active and passive interventions that address particular positive evaluation findings.
- Develop and initiate rehabilitation and exercise that maximize recovery and function in any spine program.
- Integrate a therapy program with other disciplines involved with spine management.
- Recognize the indications for surgical intervention.
- Recognize specific mechanical and neurological changes that may accompany each type of spine surgery or procedure.
- Diminish post-surgical re-admissions with correct timing of treatment and progression.
- Develop adaptable spinal rehabilitation techniques for non-fusion surgeries, fusion surgeries with or without hardware, anterior or posterior approaches and various adjunct injection procedures.
- Perform interim testing to assess rate and path of program progression, as well as provide quantitative information for the physician and insurance provider, establishing a program for patients for discharge.
- Recognize the impairments and corresponding functional limitations that can occur as a result of various spine problems.
- Identify common “red flags” and be able to recognize the need for referral to another practitioner.
- Recognize the need for post-surgical spine reporting and follow-up, especially with regard to rehabilitation and outcome.
- Identify and defend the time frames needed for proper recovery of physical function of the spine following surgery, getting maximum reimbursement for your time.
Instructed by: Carol McFarland, PT, PhD, OCS
State Continuing Education Course Approvals
All courses are pre-approved by the state licensing boards for physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and athletic trainers for license renewal in the state the course is offered.
Courses provided by AOTA providers are accepted by NBCOT. 1 hour = 1.25 PDU. North American Seminars is an AOTA provider, provider #4487
North American Seminars, Inc. (BOC provider #P2047) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for the maximum stated hours of Category A hours/CEUs. Athletic Trainers should claim only those hours actually spent in the education program.
Special Need Request - Please submit a help ticket if you require any special needs in regards to registering or attending a course.
Private - Sponsorship or Custom Version of this Course for your Team
Submit a Request
Online Continuing Education Course Resource For This Course
Post Surgical Evaluation and Treatment of the Cervical and Lumbar Spine
Instant Online Access to Course Material for 365 days, Videos, Online Test and Printable Course Certificate
Price when purchased with registration: $ 165.00
Delivery: OnlineMore Info
*Promotional prices for e-learning products are only provided when registering for live course attendance