Acute Care Rehab
Covid 19 Update On this Course
This course is now offered online! Healthclick has filmed this course in a studio, adding features not available in the live format. Visit this link to view information on this new online continuing education course.
This course is available for our private and course sponsor program
Why take this course?
This two-day, intermediate level course will provide the clinician with the tools necessary to make appropriate decisions in the ICU and acute care environments. The core principles are introduced so that clinician can acquire specific information on a variety of topics in order to effectively manage and progress patients with varying degrees of involvement. The fundamentals of ICU and acute care are presented in order for a clinician to feel not only comfortable in this environment but confident to treat each patient in a safe progressive manner. A variety of diagnoses will be presented and specific key areas are addressed in the management and progression of each patient. Red flags and tips on how to appropriately monitor and interpret the patients key vital signs when initiating and progressing a patient’s functional movement are thoroughly addressed, as this is essential,beyond basics knowledge, for all acute care therapists.
From the most critical and complex medical status to the patient who simply needs mobilization and strengthening in order to return to full function, the acute care clinician must feel comfortable providing rehabilitative services in each environment. Specific details on how to work with tubes, lines, and other medical equipment will enhance the clinician?s ability to feel confident. Tools such as the ABCDEF bundles and other evidence-based assessment and treatment tools will be reviewed and utilized in lab sessions. In addition, clinicians will also learn proper management strategies for the cardiac and pulmonary patient and hands on techniques to improve function. Case study presentations will enable the clinician to pull all of the information together to design an appropriate evaluation and progressive treatment plans.
This is an evidenced-based practical course that is designed to give the clinician the information needed to optimize treatment in the acute care environment and return your patient as close as possible to prior level of function. This course provides the clinician the information to improve their confidence and bolster their tool box of interventions for the acute care population. This course is applicable for PT, PTA, OT
- Describe the effects of immobility on the human body.
- Comprehend and reference the effects of immobility on the body when developing higher level mobility goals for all patient types seen in the acute care environment.
- Formulate effective goals and treatment strategies for the behaviorally challenging acute care patient.
- Differentiate between the medically fragile and general acute care patient and demonstrate management techniques and interventions for these populations.
- Identify the differences between the cardiac and pulmonary related disease specific management strategies.
- State the critical elements of analysis and assessment when treating and progressing the cardiopulmonary patient in an acute care setting.
- Demonstrate confidence and aptitude when developing appropriate intervention strategies for cardiopulmonary criticalcare scenarios.
- Exhibit efficacy in intervention with ventilator dependent treatment scenarios.
- Perform proper percussion and drainage techniques while observing the risk factors for the acute care patient.
- Formulate an appropriate plan of care for a critically ill cardiac patient.
- Integrate existing treatment plans with progression into the plan of care for the neurologically complex patient in the acute care setting.
- Establish interventions for the critically ill orthopedic patient to assure management of the effects of immobility and stimulate an earlier return to prior level of function.
- Validate an understanding of the outcome tools available for assessment of the acute and critically ill patient.
- Execute an efficient use and completion of the outcome tools applicable for the acute care population.
- Exhibit an understanding of the components (including equipment), time, and players in an effective mobilization plan for the critically ill population.
- Perform a thorough vital sign screening and identify appropriate values for increasing workload safely.
- Reference the critical values and analysis required to recognize progression and regression when mobilizing the critically ill population.
- Construct relevant treatment plans and interventions for the population requiring early mobilization and the neurologically complex patient in the completion of scenario based case studies.
Download a Brochure
PDF Brochure - Acute Care Rehab
Instructed by: Sharan Zirges, PT, DPT, MSHA
I get an absolute thrill from assisting someone back into a functional life. Functional is the important word here because rarely do any of us return to where we were before. As the body ages and recovers from diseases and procedures getting back to functional is like getting your life back. I love helping people to get there just as much as I love teaching others how to help people get there.
State Continuing Education Course Approvals
All courses are pre-approved by the state licensing boards for physical therapists, physical therapy assistants and occupational therapists, occupational therapy assistants and athletic trainers for license renewal in the state the course is offered.
Courses provided by AOTA providers are accepted by NBCOT. 1 hour = 1.25 PDU. North American Seminars is an AOTA provider, provider #4487
North American Seminars, Inc. (BOC provider #P2047) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for the maximum stated hours of Category A hours/CEUs. Athletic Trainers should claim only those hours actually spent in the education program.
Special Need Request - Please submit a help ticket if you require any special needs in regards to registering or attending a course.
Private - Sponsorship or Custom Version of this Course for your Team
Submit a Request
Online Continuing Education Course Resource For This Course
Acute Care Rehabilitation
Instant Online Access, Color PDF Manual for Download, 365 days of access, Mobile Ready
Price when purchased with registration: $ 175.00
Delivery: OnlineMore Info
*Promotional prices for e-learning products are only provided when registering for live course attendance